Tobacco Control Awards 2019
Theme: Overall tobacco control
Call for nominations closes on Friday, 08 March 2019.
Call for nominations
Dhaka, February 08, 2019 – National Anti-Tobacco Platform (NATP) is calling for nominations to the Tobacco Control Awards of individuals or organizations in the whole country for their accomplishments in the area of tobacco control.
Guidelines for nominations
The objective of these criteria is to facilitate nominations, bearing in mind that the final decision about whether to bestow an award rests with the National Anti-Tobacco Platform.
There will be three tobacco control awards.
- One for individual.
- One for organization and
- One for research/publication in the field of tobacco control which can be for individual or an organization.
Who can make nominations?
Anyone active in anti-tobacco activities can submit names of others for consideration. Self-nomination is also acceptable.
Who can be nominated?
The nominee can be an individual or a collective (e.g., a nongovernmental organization devoted to tobacco control) or a government department/Ministry that has made outstanding contribution to tobacco control.
The nominee must have made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of the policies and measures contained in the tobacco control law in Bangladesh as well as WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and its guidelines, particularly in relation to the theme of overall tobacco control.
Who cannot be nominated?
Those who are members of the Tobacco Control Award 2018 selection committee.
- People or collectives employed by or involved with the tobacco industry and their relatives.
How to submit a nomination
The attached nomination form can be submitted by email to National Anti-Tobacco Platform via email to the following email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org with cc to email@example.com. Nominations should be written in English. Nomination form should be typed, no handwritten forms will be accepted.
On each nomination form, you will need to provide the following information:
Complete name of the applicant/nominee.
- Title of the applicant/nominee, if a person.
- Address of the applicant/nominee, including email or phone.
- Complete name of the nominator (in case of nomination).
- Title of the nominator (in case of nomination), if a person.
- Address of the nominator (in case of nomination), including email or phone.
- Detailed description of the reason for the nomination, including the dates of the actions. Possible reasons are:
- The nomination can be for a particular action, or for a group of actions, or for the body of a nominee’s work in the area of tobacco control at any local, national level.
- The nominee/applicant may have set a meritorious (or distinctive or innovative) example for others in the tobacco control movement.
- The nominee/applicant may have overcome a big obstacle in achieving the objective for which he or she is considered worthy of a Tobacco Control award.
- The nominee/applicant may have demonstrated outstanding leadership or commitment or been particularly innovative in his or her approach to tobacco control.
- The nominee/applicant may have brought particular resources or knowledge or expertise to bear on tobacco control.
- The nominee/applicant may have made an outstanding contribution to tobacco control as a crucial measure to rolling back non-communicable diseases to achieve Sustainable Development Goal 3 (Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages).
- Nominations for reasons based on the regular parliamentary or administrative work of nominees (in official or personal capacity), e.g. the hosting or chairing of meetings, will not be considered.
A national tobacco control award 2019 selection committee formed by NATP Central Committee members will examine the nominations/application and will select three awardees based on merit.
- While making the shortlist the committee may agree on a set of short-listing criteria.
- Nepotism and favoritism are not allowed.
Announcement of awardees
The NATP will announce the awardees in its own website before 31 May 2019.